Thursday, 3 May 2012

Costumes for Seussical the Musical - Part 1


When I started my blog in February this year, I had just finished making all costumes for a production of Seussical the Musical and I promised that I would some post up photos when I got them. Well, I got the disk last weekend and WOW! These amazing photos deserve more than a little mention so I thought I’d share the story of Seussical through the costumes.   

I have to admit that although I have read a few of his books, I was not a huge all out fan of Dr Suess.  I loved Green Eggs and Ham and I thought The Cat in The Hat was ok, but that was about it. And being forced to sit through the cartoon movie of Horton Hears a Who just confirmed my preconception that it was all a bit saccharine-sweet and a little too cheesy for my taste.  So when it was announced that the second Louise Ryan Vocal School production would be a musical based on the books of Dr Seuss, I rather surprised, especially as it had to follow the previous year’s amazing production of Oliver the Musical!

Seussical the Musical - I hadn’t even heard of it, and neither had most of the students and parents.



Undeterred, both Directors - Louise Ryan and Natasha Evans - sent out links to Youtube clips and told everyone to go away and look it up ……  

Well, 2 days later I was hooked. Seussical has clever lyrics, catchy songs and the scope for a big cast, but most importantly for me, it had the opportunity for the most AMAZING COSTUMES ever…  I wanted to do those costumes – all of them. I offered to get involved and my hand was snatched off by Louise and Natasha, who admitted that the costumes had to be pretty impressive and they needed help. I had just become Wardrobe Mistress, and I don’t think any of us realised at that stage exactly what a job it would be. 

They started rehearsals in September. Both of my children were in the ensemble groups – Elen was cast as a Jungle of Nool citizen and Ioan was to be a young Who plus a fish, a circus performer and a Hunch. Between them, they were involved in most of the scenes, so I found myself attending all the rehearsals – which was great as I could see how each character developed and how they moved. 



Overall there were 43 children and young people cast in the show, ranging from 8 years old through to teenagers and a few young adults. Luckily most of the cast had a single role and only needed one costume (whew) but there were a couple who needed costumes changes and a small group with multiple parts.  Overall I needed to make over 60 different costumes plus a load of costume props.  

Good thing I had until February……… 

.......to be continued……..

No comments:

Post a Comment