Skip to main content

Featured

Blanket stitch - great for applique and decorative impact

The Old Button Play On The Go © Play Scenes - Safai Zoo What is blanket stitch Blanket stitch is an edging stitch, traditionally used to finish the edges of woollen blankets (or other woven items) to stop them unravelling.  Sewn in a connected row, the stitch forms neat 3 sides boxes, with the effect of "down" side stitches connected by "top" stitches, but they are formed by looping the thread in a continuous stitch.      When used as an edging stitch, it wraps itself around the edge, with down stitches showing at the front and the back, and the top showing across the outside edge.      The Old Button felt flower brooch Securing applique As it can be eased around curves and used on angles of any shape, including internal ones, blanket stitch is also great for securing applique patches.  I use it a lot with felt, but it also works well on cotton or wool fabrics too as where it has the added benefit of catching in any fraying threads.  The Old Button heart an

Costumes for Seussical the Musical - Part 1


When I started my blog in February this year, I had just finished making all costumes for a production of Seussical the Musical and I promised that I would some post up photos when I got them. Well, I got the disk last weekend and WOW! These amazing photos deserve more than a little mention so I thought I’d share the story of Seussical through the costumes.   

I have to admit that although I have read a few of his books, I was not a huge all out fan of Dr Suess.  I loved Green Eggs and Ham and I thought The Cat in The Hat was ok, but that was about it. And being forced to sit through the cartoon movie of Horton Hears a Who just confirmed my preconception that it was all a bit saccharine-sweet and a little too cheesy for my taste.  So when it was announced that the second Louise Ryan Vocal School production would be a musical based on the books of Dr Seuss, I rather surprised, especially as it had to follow the previous year’s amazing production of Oliver the Musical!

Seussical the Musical - I hadn’t even heard of it, and neither had most of the students and parents.



Undeterred, both Directors - Louise Ryan and Natasha Evans - sent out links to Youtube clips and told everyone to go away and look it up ……  

Well, 2 days later I was hooked. Seussical has clever lyrics, catchy songs and the scope for a big cast, but most importantly for me, it had the opportunity for the most AMAZING COSTUMES ever…  I wanted to do those costumes – all of them. I offered to get involved and my hand was snatched off by Louise and Natasha, who admitted that the costumes had to be pretty impressive and they needed help. I had just become Wardrobe Mistress, and I don’t think any of us realised at that stage exactly what a job it would be. 

They started rehearsals in September. Both of my children were in the ensemble groups – one was cast as a Jungle of Nool citizen and the other was to be a young Who plus a fish, a circus performer and a Hunch. Between them, they were involved in most of the scenes, so I found myself attending all the rehearsals – which was great as I could see how each character developed and how they moved. 



Overall there were 43 children and young people cast in the show, ranging from 8 years old through to teenagers and a few young adults. Luckily most of the cast had a single role and only needed one costume (whew) but there were a couple who needed costumes changes and a small group with multiple parts.  Overall I needed to make over 60 different costumes plus a load of costume props.  

Good thing I had 6 months……… 

.......to be continued……..

Popular Posts